Spring allergens present a seasonal threat to healthy indoor air quality in many homes. Allergic reactions typically originate from two airborne sources: plant pollen and mold spores.
Microscopic pollen grains released by trees in the spring easily infiltrate homes. Indoors, pollen triggers allergic responses when inhaled by susceptible individuals. Because the entire air volume inside your home circulates through your HVAC system five to seven times daily, the system can be a helpful ally in controlling spring allergens like pollen.
Active mold growth inside a home releases microscopic spores. Airborne mold spores contain mycotoxins that may cause symptoms in certain persons when inhaled. Because mold growth requires moisture — including high humidity — to thrive, it tends to be more active in spring and summer.
Controlling Spring Allergens
- Schedule a service call with your HVAC contractor to determine if your heating and cooling system air filter is effectively controlling pollen.
- Follow your manufacturer recommendation for replacing your air filter. Where seasonal airborne allergen levels are especially high, more frequent changes may be required.
- Keep indoor humidity below 50%, the approximate level that triggers active mold growth.
- Run vent fans in bathrooms and kitchens to exhaust moisture.
- Ask your HVAC contractor about installing a whole-home dehumidifier inside your HVAC ductwork. The unit continuously extracts water vapor from household air and automatically maintains a precise indoor humidity setting 24/7.
UV Light Technology
Ultraviolet (UV) light is a proven, effective method to destroy spring allergens that originate from non-plant sources. Commonly utilized in hospitals and other health facilities to sterilize surfaces, UV light supports healthy indoor air quality by disrupting the DNA of airborne microorganisms and preventing reproduction.
Installed inside your home ductwork—and usually at another central location such as the A/C evaporator coil—by an HVAC contractor, these compact UV bulbs continuously expose the system airflow to the disinfecting power of ultraviolet light, destroying up to 99 % of reproductive mold spores, bacteria and viruses within 24 hours.
For qualified professional service to control spring allergens inside your home, contact Jackson & Sons.How Many HVAC Units Is Best for Your Home’s Size? » « Tips for Maintaining Your HVAC Unit in a Manufactured Home