It’s not unusual to have questions about your furnace, especially when it’s not performing as well as it should. The following tips focus on a few common furnace questions, as well as possible solutions that can help get your furnace back on track.
1. Why Does My Furnace Constantly Shut Off?
One of the most common reasons for a sudden shutdown is short cycling, an issue where the furnace turns on and off within the span of a few minutes and does so frequently. A dirty air filter or a malfunctioning thermostat can also trick your furnace into shutting down when it shouldn’t.
2. Why Does My Furnace Blow Cold Air?
Check your thermostat settings. Make sure the fan is set to “auto” instead of “on.” The latter setting will keep the fan running and blow cold air when your furnace isn’t running. Other potential causes of a furnace that runs cold include:
- Dirty air filter
- Damaged ductwork
- Extinguished pilot light if applicable with furnance
3. Why Does My Furnace Keep Running?
Again, check the thermostat. There’s a good chance your thermostat’s fan setting is set to “on” instead of “auto.” If the settings are correct, have your HVAC technician check for a failed fan limit switch or faulty thermostat wiring.
4. Why Does My Furnace Have An Odor?
Unpleasant odors coming from your furnace can have a wide variety of causes:
- Burnt dust simply means your furnace hasn’t been used in a while.
- Musty odors could indicate mold growth or a clogged air filter.
- Metallic odors could be a result of your furnace overheating.
- The smell similiar to that of rotten eggs usually indicate a gas leak.
5. How Can I Make My Furnace Run More Quietly?
The key is to check your furnace for loose or ill-fitting components, including loose fasteners, leaky ducts, and loose vents. Bad fan motor bearings or a bad fan belt can also cause unpleasant noises during operation.
The heating experts at Jackson & Sons can answer all of your furnace questions. Turn to us whenever you need quality heating service for your Eastern North Carolina home.